Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Stop and Breathe often - Diary 18

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

One event can change everything.

Having the diabetes scare helped me face my fear of change. I had to change less things that I thought, but in my mind the change was going to be huge that is why I could not bear it before. Our mind plays an awful lot of tricks on us. The last couple of years felt like I’ve been learning about life and people. We all make at least one or two bad choices a year and it seems that, at the moment, life as we know it is over. Maybe it is, but we get over it, move on and start fresh. That’s the cool thing about being an individual; you can transform yourself and change whenever you feel like it. I neglected to pay attention to that; I was too busy worrying about everyone else, I took an extended leave of absence on my individuality.

What I realized is that I don’t need to do 10 things at once because I never finish any of them or it takes me too long to finish them. I’ve taught myself to STOP, REWIND, SLOW DOWN, PICK ONE THING and go with it. I’m getting more done because I’ve slowed down the process. I focus on one thing at a time and I get it done so much better. Be it cooking, working, cleaning, the kids, the husband, I’ve stopped trying to do everything at once. I’m trying to do less and making it count.

Same goes with life in general. Sometimes it feels like days just come, go and you have nothing to show for it. I’m turning 41 and it dawned on me that I really should not let days come and go. I’m not saying I can control time; I’ll just control what I do with the time I have.
Next time you are doing 3 things at once and you get stressed out and get all overwhelmed. STOP. BREATHE. CLOSE YOUR EYES AND RELAX (unless one of those things is driving). Take a deeeeeep breath and pick ONE of the three things and finish it. You will feel so much better and I promise you, it will all get done!

Stop and breathe often, you might see something you never saw before and it may make you smile.


Peace out my loves (specially my beautiful stalker who is travelling today)

11 comments:

Laura said...

Now THIS is funny...you been peeking into my kitchen??
Last night I wanted to do the dishes,talk on the phone and eat a yoghurt - all at the same time. The result: almost dropped the phone into the sink, splashed soap all over the floor and a spoonfull of yoggi ended up in my cleavage. I grrrr-ed and then did this: I hung up, turned off the water and sat down with my yoghurt. It was a total Zen moment.

Tonight? I read your blog. Best choice out of 3 other things. The dishes can damn wait.

Yup, you made me smile. And you are totally right with this blog.:)


p.s.~ Amazing job on A's room - it looks FABULOUS!

Blasé said...

If I've told you this once, I've told you a thousand times- "Stop Breathe Close you eyes and Relax".

Glad you're finally catching on!

SM said...

Laura - I can see you doing that too!. I'm glad I made you smile.
Thanks on As room, I'm very proud of it (she's trying to keep it neat too).

Blase - Just keep telling me another 1000 times. I'll remind you too :)

Jess Giles said...

This is definitely a lesson that I've been trying to follow, but it is difficult when so many things are suddenly changing beyond your control!

Also, A's room looks amazing! So cute!

Christie said...

Easier said than done though, right? Such great words to think on.

P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Let me know how your bread turns out!

SM said...

Jess - Thanks on As room. I worked really hard on it.
You are so young and amazing Jess, one of my most favorite people in the world. One day at a time!

Christi - I'm making that bread this weekend, YUM in advance.
I'm glad you like the words ;)

Unknown said...

Thanks for reminding me of how empowering it can be to slow it down!

Without being too much of a whiny suburban housewife I do feel as if my life is just too much for me to handle sometimes.

I love reading your blog because it makes me feel less lonely.

I feel like you are facing some of the same challenges that I face (of course you have a better attitude than I do)!

Trying to be more positive ...

Denise Burks

www.successinthesuburbs.blogspot.com
www.stepmotherinthesuburbs.blogspot.com
www.successfulweightlossinthesuburbs.blogspot.com

SM said...

I'm so glad you found my blog and commented! I will check out yours too.

Thanks for your words, they really mean a lot to me.

Anonymous said...

I am home, and so happy to be here. Wish you could have gone too. But Happy Day, anyway! :)

Unknown said...

Great message my dear gal pal! It's funny that a lot of what you write about is what so many of us are going through as well... I always seem to be in SUCH a HURRY! I get soooo frustrated with myself because I'm constantly pushing my kids, hurry up, what are you doing, come on, let's go already! Just this morning I stopped myself... before yelling at my 12 yr old son ONE LAST TIME to brush his teeth and get out the mirror, I thought... who is he hurting by staring in the mirror? So what if he spends 10 minutes on his less than 1" curly hair? Who is he hurting? Not me, he won't make me late and he has plenty of time.

Time for me to chill... slow down, embrace the moments, even if those moments seem to me to be a big waste of time. Is it really? Haha... maybe he read your other blog about loving your reflection!!! I think all my kids have that down to a science!

Anyways... love you and thank you as usual for sharing your world! A's room is fabulous! :) :) :)

xxOOxxOO

SM said...

Glad you are home ;)

Sometimes I have to catch myself too and lately I should pay more attention to my reflection...it's kind of shabby haha.

oooxxx makes me happy that we 'connect'